Ομιλείτε αγγλικά!

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
Domenica, you may take part in our conversation, no matter what your level in English is. This is not a topic to boast about our knowledge or to criticise others, it is about impoving every participants communication skills. You can make as many mistakes as you want, we will correct them -well, if we do find them:P-, so that you can learn from them.

A good grammar book... hmm... in proficiency level, you are supposed to have complete knowledge of the grammar rules... Well, it is actually not about rules, the best way to be good at grammar is feel the language. To do that, of course, you will first have to learn some rules, and then transform them into language consciousness.
Nevertheless, there are some grammatical phenomena that are quite unusual and are not mentioned in ordinary grammar books... Some books (like this one) include appendixes, though, which explain most such cases. In practice, however, you' ll find many exercises in the grammar section that are not clear grammar, but which may also contain phrasal verbs and some expressions or the use of prepositions, and which can only be learnt through the correction procedure plus some study.

Good luck!

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 15 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

djimmakos

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Μήτσος αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 30 ετών και Μαθητής Β' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 2,790 μηνύματα.
Oh God, I've forgotten that this topic exists :p

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 15 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η domenica7 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 32 ετών. Έχει γράψει 1,056 μηνύματα.
Domenica, you may take part in our conversation, no matter what your level in English is. This is not a topic to boast about our knowledge or to criticise others, it is about impoving every participants communication skills. You can make as many mistakes as you want, we will correct them -well, if we do find them:P-, so that you can learn from them.

A good grammar book... hmm... in proficiency level, you are supposed to have complete knowledge of the grammar rules... Well, it is actually not about rules, the best way to be good at grammar is feel the language. To do that, of course, you will first have to learn some rules, and then transform them into language consciousness.
Nevertheless, there are some grammatical phenomena that are quite unusual and are not mentioned in ordinary grammar books... Some books (like this one) include appendixes, though, which explain most such cases. In practice, however, you' ll find many exercises in the grammar section that are not clear grammar, but which may also contain phrasal verbs and some expressions or the use of prepositions, and which can only be learnt through the correction procedure plus some study.

Good luck!
Thanks!!:DMost Grivas' books are absolutely excellent!I'm gonna check it.I finished english at high school B class(B2 level Michigan & B3 Edexcel) but now I would like to study for Proficiency.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
(Grivas books, when you refer to publications, you don' t have to use the apostrophe.
And I don' t think that "study for Proficency" is quite correct, you study for a certificate. "Proficiency" is not a certificate, it is the state of a person being able to speak a laguage fluently. In Greece, we use the word to describe all certificates that prove such proficiency in English, but this is a misuse of the word.)

Well, most Grivas books are pretty useful, but relying on them to learn vocabulary is disgustingly difficult. The companion of the new book (I had in the summer) provides a mere translation, nothing else. If you want to develop your vocabulary skills, you should prefer a book with a good companion, which includes a definition of each word in English, synonyms and derivatives, as well as one or more examples. Otherwise, you will find yourself knowing many words that you do not know how to use. Apart from this, the vocabulary section of the Michigan ECPE (if I' m not mistaken, this is the certificate you want to attain, right?) often requires that you know trivial differences of words which are very much alike (e.g., the word inheritance and the word heritage - they are both translated as "κληρονομιά", but the first one refers to meaterial goods, whilst the second one refers to both material goods and culture (mostly to the latter).

Any topic to discuss?

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η domenica7 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 32 ετών. Έχει γράψει 1,056 μηνύματα.
1)Thanks for the corrections.You gonna be a very good teacher.:PI was really impressed by your knowledge on the topic.I mean it.:D
2)Actually yes, I'm mostly interested in Michigan ECPE or Edexcel.At the moment I'm only reading english literature books so as to practise my vocabulary.When I leave school I'm gonna study more systematically to take the exams.:)

Lacta144

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η Μαρία-Ειρήνη αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 30 ετών και Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 1,098 μηνύματα.
ι'm taking fce and ecce exams in May....!!!!!wish me luck!

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

1) Thank you, if I couldn' t become a scientist, I would probably become an English teacher, though more studies are required for that.:)

Actually, it is the ECPE (Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English).
Well, having studied for six months in order to sit for the ECPE, I have gained some experience on learning -and, consequently, teaching-.

Many of the words you will learn are rarely used and will soon be forgotten, but anyway.

2) Keep on reading literature. Harry Potter is a good book to read in English.

Although I would say that sticking to unknown words distracts you from the general plot of the book and destroys the experience of reading. If you really want to learn vocabulary, you have to do it systematically: find some words in examples -these may either be inside books that you currently read (but I recommend that you do this after you have read the book for the first time), or, preferably, words from a good companion- that are worth learning. Study them, use them, then study them again.

Hey, you didn' t propose anything:P.

What would you say about the ITER?
-----------------------------------------
ι'm taking fce and ecce exams in May....!!!!!wish me luck!

I wish you the best of luck, Luckta!:P

Lacta144

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η Μαρία-Ειρήνη αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 30 ετών και Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 1,098 μηνύματα.
thenkssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

luckta:P

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

@Lacta:The best of luck with your exams!!!:D

@Crook:Oups!Sorry!I forgot it!...:xixi:
ITER?Allright!Well,it's a quite controversial issue.Many claims that nuclear energy is the solution to the energy crisis.However is not that easy as it seems to be in my opinion.I have a doubt about how feasible and enviromentallly friendly is in the end this project.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

I have a doubt about how feasible and enviromentallly friendly is in the end this project.

Ooops:P.

Alright.

There are many claims OR Many claim...

I have doubts (I' m not absolutely sure if "I have a doubt" is false, but in the case above I wouldn' t write it like that) about how feasible and enviromentally friendly this project actually is.

Well, the superfluous "l"s are owing to your distraction by something, I think:P.

(you can' t say "in the end" here, the expression can only be used literally)

Also: you say "How environmentally friendly is this project?" but "... how environmentally friendly this project is".

Well, I think that we should invest more money in solar energy. If we manage to create solar energy panels (I' m not sure if this is the correct term) that can expoit greater amounts of the energy that solar radiation transfers, it would really mean an energy revolution!

("In my opinion" is never placed at the end of a statement.)

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Oh,sh*t!I made too many errors.My english sucks.:/(the 3 ''l''was by mistake :P,there is no word with ''lll'':P)

I agree with you.In my opinion (:P)alternative sources of energy like solar is a better solution.However I'm not against to nuclear energy as long as it doesn't pollute the enviroment of course.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

I agree with you.In my opinion alternative sources of energy like solar is a better solution.However I'm not against to nuclear energy as long as it doesn't pollute the enviroment of course.

Check your text again:P. You have two errors.

Do you think that there is any source of energy that makes absolutely no harm to the environment?

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Oh,sh*t!I made too many errors.My english sucks.:/(the 3 ''l''was by mistake :P,there is no word with ''lll'':P)

I agree with you.In my opinion (:P)alternative sources of energy ,like solar, is a better solution.However I'm not against to nuclear energy as long as it doesn't pollute the enviroment of course.
Ok let me guess..:P
1)is => are
2)it is crossed out or of course shouldn't be placed there.

Check your text again:P. You have two errors.

Do you think that there is any source of energy that makes absolutely no harm to the environment?

No, I don't think so.At least let's try to find the most enviromentally friendly one.And to be honest I don't think that ITER is that friendly...If you ask me renewable energy is far better at the moment.

zip_unzip

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Ο zip_unzip αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Α' λυκείου και μας γράφει απο Φινλανδία (Ευρώπη). Έχει γράψει 354 μηνύματα.
I agree with you.In my opinion (:P)alternative sources of energy like solar is a better solution.However I'm not against to nuclear energy as long as it doesn't pollute the enviroment of course.

And the right answer is: "I agree with you. In my opinion, alternative sources of energy, as solar power, is a better solution. However I'm not against nuclear energy, as long as it doesn't pollute the environment."

There were more than 2 errors in domenica7's particular message:)

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Oh gamot!:PI made it worse now.:lol::lol:

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Well, yes, I wasn' t careful enough.:P
-----------------------------------------
PS: You can say "Oh, damnit/dammit", or "Shit!".

But no more, f-beginning words are insulting:P.

zip_unzip

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Ο zip_unzip αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Α' λυκείου και μας γράφει απο Φινλανδία (Ευρώπη). Έχει γράψει 354 μηνύματα.

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Nerds..:P:P

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Well, that's why I'm here for

(that's why I'm here OR that' s what I'm here for:P)

Thanks, Domenica! No one has ever spoken with such nice words about me!:P

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Hahaha..You are welcome my sweetheart..:P

P.S:I'm just joking of course.I wanna thank you for your corrections.You really help me become better.

Χρήστες Βρείτε παρόμοια