Ομιλείτε αγγλικά!

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η Ο αναγνώστης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 35 ετών και Φοιτήτρια. Έχει γράψει 179 μηνύματα.
Really? :P:P:P
I've heard that "Harry Potter" has been translated into latin... I wonder who's going to read it...
I believe that this kind of things (translations in ancient languages) happen only to attract people's attention...
They're kind of meaningless... None's going to buy a modern book in latin or read an on-line encyclopedia in ancient greek for example...
I really like latin but I'd never prefer to read a book in latin than in english... unless of course it's wriiten by a latin author, yet again I'll need a dictionary...!!!

I have read the Harry potter book in latin. The reason I did that, other than the fact that it was so funny, is because I am familiar with the book ( I actually know it quite well since I used to be a Harry Potter addict when I was a teenager ) and I didn't have to use a dictionary all the time cause I already knew what it meant. It really improved my vocab. Also, I know for a fact that a professor at our University has also read it. And I also know many classicists from England who do read wikipedia in Latin, to practice their Latin. And as I said, because it's fun.

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
I have read the Harry potter book in latin. The reason I did that, other than the fact that it was so funny, is because I am familiar with the book ( I actually know it quite well since I used to be a Harry Potter addict when I was a teenager ) and I didn't have to use a dictionary all the time cause I already knew what it meant. It really improved my vocab. Also, I know for a fact that a professor at our University has also read it. And I also know many classicists from England who do read wikipedia in Latin, to practice their Latin. And as I said, because it's fun.

You've read the whole book in latin...???:P Congratulations!!! It seems quite difficult...
I wonder though how did they manage to translate all the words and expressions... It's not very easy to translate contemporary expressions into ancient languages, at least not without having to invent some new words - that, of course, did not exist back in the time latin was spoken...

It must have helped you improve your latin!!!:P

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η Ο αναγνώστης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 35 ετών και Φοιτήτρια. Έχει γράψει 179 μηνύματα.
You've read the whole book in latin...???:P Congratulations!!! It seems quite difficult...
I wonder though how did they manage to translate all the words and expressions... It's not very easy to translate contemporary expressions into ancient languages, at least not without having to invent some new words - that, of course, did not exist back in the time latin was spoken...

It must have helped you improve your latin!!!:P
hehe I must admit I haven't read it all thoroughly, but I have read my favourite chapters, of course having the english one next to me, so I could look up every word I didn't know (and there were many :P ). And yes, some words must be new, obviously, but this applies to any language. There are words in Harry Potter that don't exist in English either, and obviously the translators in every language had to invent the equivalent. So it can't be that different for Latin.
Now though I want to start reading actual latin poetry in latin. When I finish the damn uni I will devote a year in improving my latin before applying for post grad. My first book to read will be Ovid's Tristia. Oh yeah!!!:D

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
Really? :P:P:P
I've heard that "Harry Potter" has been translated into latin... I wonder who's going to read it...
I believe that this kind of things (translations into ancient languages) happen only to attract people's attention...
They're kind of meaningless... None's going to buy a modern book in latin or read an on-line encyclopedia in ancient greek for example...
I really like latin but I'd never prefer to read a book in latin than in english... unless of course it's written by a latin author, yet again I'll need a dictionary...!!!:P:P:P

Well, just the first book of the series. It has also been translated into Ancient Greek. Now THAT would be funny:P. The Dursleys are called something like "Δούρσλειοι":P.

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Well, just the first book of the series. It has also been translated into Ancient Greek. Now THAT would be funny:P. The Dursleys are called something like "Δούρσλειοι":P.

Actually the first two books :P I've read the second one. The ancient Greek one is hilarious :P I've read some pages and it was so funny.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
How was the translation of the name "Severous Snape"? Σεβέριος Σνάπιος?:P

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
How was the translation of the name "Severous Snape"? Σεβέριος Σνάπιος?:P
:jumpy::jumpy:

I'm sure the translation must be kind of funny! Hilarious, actually!

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

hehe I must admit I haven't read it all thoroughly, but I have read my favourite chapters, of course having the english one next to me, so I could look up every word I didn't know (and there were many :P ). And yes, some words must be new, obviously, but this applies to any language. There are words in Harry Potter that don't exist in English either, and obviously the translators in every language had to invent the equivalent. So it can't be that different for Latin.
Now though I want to start reading actual latin poetry in latin. When I finish the damn uni I will devote a year in improving my latin before applying for post grad. My first book to read will be Ovid's Tristia. Oh yeah!!!:D

As far as the words that the author had to come up with, they certainly are difficult to translate in any language!
However, translation in ancient languges causes more problems! The translators have not only to find the appropriate equivalents for these new words, but also to translate words that may exist nowadays but did not exist in ancient times (for example, words related with technology).

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

As far as the words that the author had to come up with, they certainly are difficult to translate in any language!
However, translation in ancient languges causes more problems! The translators have not only to find the appropriate equivalents for these new words, but also to translate words that may exist nowadays but did not exist in ancient times (for example, words related with technology).

that is true. And what's even more interesting is that sometimes we can't translate ancient terms in modern languages, this is the case with translation in general (oh god, I have an exam in 3 hours about that :P), it can't incorporate the true meaning a word had in a particular social and historical context. A good example for that is the mistaken translation of the roman res publica in "republic"...

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

that is true. And what's even more interesting is that sometimes we can't translate ancient terms in modern languages, this is the case with translation in general (oh god, I have an exam in 3 hours about that :P), it can't incorporate the true meaning a word had in a particular social and historical context. A good example for that is the mistaken translation of the roman res publica in "republic"...
I totally agree with you! Translation can be very demanding some times, no matter how fluent someone may be in foreign languages! That's what actually makes it interesting... I really like translating literature, for example... I consider it a very creative process!

As you've mentioned, it is very difficult to find the complete equivalents, when translating from an ancient into a modern language... Cultural connotations can make quite a difference! This happens also when translating from a modern language in an other modern language... Languages are greatly associated with the culture of their speakers. That's why we can't find an equivalent for the greek word "κεφι", for example... There are many ways to describe its meaning using phrases, but there isn't a single word that incorporates each and every connotation...

Τελευταία επεξεργασία:

blablabla14

Νεοφερμένος

Η blablabla14 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 28 ετών και Μαθητής Γ' γυμνασίου. Έχει γράψει 73 μηνύματα.
hey guys!! what's up ?? i'm bored!! i have to study..but i don't xD
today it was such a great day!!!!! i went out with my friends and had some fun after school!!
what about u?? how was your day ?

~Melania~

Περιβόητο μέλος

Η Insomnia ♥ αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Πτυχιούχος και μας γράφει απο Πάτρα (Αχαΐα). Έχει γράψει 5,354 μηνύματα.
Good afternoon!!What's up?Tomorrow I am going to write ancient greek.....:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy!!!

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Good luck on your exam Melania! I think that in english they don't say "write an exam" but take an exam. :)

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Hello everyone! Anyone studying Greek literature in Athens? For those of you who are interested, the erasmus lists were announced today and we have the opportunity to go to Oxford!! Personally, I don't, since I just came back from erasmus, but I think for those of you who love England and Classics it's the best opportunity you could have!! I am actually very jealous, I can't believe they added this University this year, a few months after I came back :(
Ah well...

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Hello everyone! Anyone studying Greek literature in Athens? For those of you who are interested, the erasmus lists were announced today and we have the opportunity to go to Oxford!! Personally, I don't, since I just came back from erasmus, but I think for those of you who love England and Classics it's the best opportunity you could have!! I am actually very jealous, I can't believe they added this University this year, a few months after I came back :(
Ah well...
Hi! Thanks for the information! I've found the link at the greek literature department's site, but I can't find the list of the foreign universities... I just read the general info... where can I find the list?

Don't worry you can't go again...! You already had the chance!:P:P:P Besides, from what you've mentioned at your previous posts, you're interested in applying for post-gradute studies at UK universities, therefore, you'll study there again!:P

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Hi! Thanks for the information! I've found the link at the greek literature department's site, but I can't find the list of the foreign universities... I just read the general info... where can I find the list?

Don't worry you can't go again...! You already had the chance!:P:P:P Besides, from what you've mentioned at your previous posts, you're interested in applying for post-gradute studies at UK universities, therefore, you'll study there again!:P

I dont worry that I cant go again, I just feel jealous that they added Oxford now, whereas when I applied we didnt have the option...Ah well....its not that I didnt have fun where I was, but Oxford is OXFORD! You know?
The list can be found at this page https://www.interel.uoa.gr/socrates-erasmus/proc_el.html
Are you interested in applying for erasmus?

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

I dont worry that I cant go again, I just feel jealous that they added Oxford now, whereas when I applied we didnt have the option...Ah well....its not that I didnt have fun where I was, but Oxford is OXFORD! You know?
The list can be found at this page https://www.interel.uoa.gr/socrates-erasmus/proc_el.html
Are you interested in applying for erasmus?

Well... I don't know if I'll apply... I must discuss it with my family as well! It's deffinatley a great opportunity!!!

ΑΓΝΗΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η ΑΓΝΗΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Έχει γράψει 828 μηνύματα.
Hallo, everyone.Why nobody writes here? From now i will be always here because in September i am going to take a test and i hope to write good. If i write good i will go in e senior. I know that you do not care... By the way. Do you know a good issue because i want to write a text and with this way i want to improve my speech?I have already writen three texts. The first is about a letter that i tell a problem at my friend and i give him some advice.The second is about a letter in a magazine that a student tells a problem who has with their classmates and a reporter give an answer.And the third is about uniforms at schools and the uniforms' advantages and disadvantages. Sorry for the large text and thank you. I expect an answer.:)

Χαρά.

Διάσημο μέλος

Η Χαρά. αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Έχει γράψει 2,981 μηνύματα.
Well,you could write about your country.That might be quite a general subject,but I think it's really good.You will write advantages and diadnavtagew,what you love and hate about it and how you could make it better.Oh and good luck!What do you think about it?

ΑΓΝΗΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η ΑΓΝΗΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Έχει γράψει 828 μηνύματα.
Firstly thanks. Now for the issue is very good. But is its level for e senior?I am open for any idea...

Χρήστες Βρείτε παρόμοια