Ομιλείτε αγγλικά!

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
well i'm always glad talking to a "talking toddler"!dunno if i'll go blind since i've read it just 3 times...and thnx 4 the "offer"-thing.but i'll go with "offering"...BTW r u a native???

P.S.there r other things threatening you with blindness...so don't believe what they say about practice and perfects-rather misleading:D

Why "toddler"?:P

Nope, I' m not a native English speaker. Though I had once made this particular mistake in a composition, and my English teacher corrected it.

I think that I will have to worry about blindness only when I reach the age af 70:P.

Lower you daily coffee income :p

I think that the term "coffee income" is not an appropriate collocation. I would prefer the term "coffee inception":P.

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 15 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

n1kous

Νεοφερμένος

Ο Νικος αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 32 ετών και Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 68 μηνύματα.
Why "toddler"?:P

Nope, I' m not a native English speaker. Though I had once made this particular mistake in a composition, and my English teacher corrected it.

I think that I will have to worry about blindness only when I reach the age af 70:P.

ok so i can c that u can speak english pretty well;especially,since u get 2 correct other people's mistakes .nevertheless,i'm an englishaholic.and i don care what ur teacher told u-maybe she's right about the writing factor;maybe you cannot write it in your essays,comps etc.-but i know it's correct.
"toddler" was just teasing(-:lol:yeah right....)
-----------------------------------------
hey!!!the girl from Ipanema!!!loved it when i was ten!!!ah...memories....:D

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 15 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
Ah, it does not have anything to do with formal letters. The problem is that almost all private schools for English teach a certain form, according to which 98 out of 100 students write. It is parroting (again).

*born*(bear-bore-born)

P.S.: No rant at all:P.

ξαροπ

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Ιάσων αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 29 ετών, Φοιτητής και μας γράφει απο ΗΠΑ (Αμερική). Έχει γράψει 1,575 μηνύματα.
Guess I belong to the 2% of the students, then. That parroting you speak of is mostly shown in formal letters, rather than in informal letters or a free-writing composition -usually in the latter you are a bit more loose and do not have to follow the strict pattern of formality. Whatever. I just hope that this kind of 'adding-your-own-bit-of-style-in-a-formal-letter' way won't be rejected in the Proficiency examination, although I seriously doubt it. Damn them producing parrots rather than people actually fluent in the use of the English language. But they must have their reasons :P.

/off-topic :bye:

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

I shall move our posts to the "Ομιλείτε Αγγλικά" thread.:)

If you sit for the ECPE, then you won' t have to worry about letters, anyway. You just write essays (articles).

If you sit for the CPE, though, you might have to write a letter. Though 'adding-your-own-bit-of-style-in-a-formal-letter' is exactly the goal. Parroting is forbidden in any Proficiency examination!;)
*looser*

ξαροπ

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Ιάσων αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 29 ετών, Φοιτητής και μας γράφει απο ΗΠΑ (Αμερική). Έχει γράψει 1,575 μηνύματα.
Dunno really about the pattern english examinations follow. It's been a long time since FCE, where things were ridiculously easy. Good thing to know though that parroting is forbidden. I despise those who get an excellent mark in a formal letter because of how well they were able to copy word by word what they've been taught.

If you take a look in one of our school's magazines which you won't (or, as a teacher said, 'throw an eye on one of those papers' :P) you will see that most students in letters or short-written compositions sharing the same topic write the exact same things and change a word or two. It's so stupid it's funny.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Well, parroting is foridden in that the examiner will be able to discern that you have learnt whole sentences by hear, judging by the quality of the rest of the composition.

Parroting. The affliciton of today' s Greek schools. Parroting exhausts the spirit, but offers almost no substantial knowledge, as a parrot just repeats, without actually absorbing knowledge (don' t use the term "parroting" in any English essay, it is a word existent in Greek, not English). It calms the mind and creates manipulatable personalities. That is exactly what the "big ones" want.

ξαροπ

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Well, parroting is foridden in that the examiner will be able to discern that you have learnt whole sentences by hear, judging by the quality of the rest of the composition.

Parroting. The affliciton of today' s Greek schools. Parroting exhausts the spirit, but offers almost no substantial knowledge, as a parrot just repeats, without actually absorbing knowledge (don' t use the term "parroting" in any English essay, it is a word existent in Greek, not English). It calms the mind and creates manipulatable personalities. That is exactly what the "big ones" want.

You think I am not aware of the made-up word? :P A sufficient term for that in English would be, perhaps, swotting -or to be exact, memorizing swotting. I personally believe this is a fault in the execution of the hellenic education system (?), as it encourages parroting rather than discouraging it (one can assume so by the way most of the books are written). But half of this matter depends on the student. After all, parroting is an option. I'm glad to see that most of the users here tend to be excellent students with a good critical thought, the latter one being the most important and something parroting will never lead one to. :)

n1kous

Νεοφερμένος

Ο Νικος αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 32 ετών και Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 68 μηνύματα.
it's parrot fashion actually....
btw,should u know that a word or phrase is 100% correct,there is no wrong in
using it.obviously formal writing has some rules u need to adjust 2,so u need 2 make sure the collocation is not the odd-man-out.but fronti give a set frame of expressing urselves so as to be on the safe side.students that have profound knowledge of the language is a rare case....:)
You think I am not aware of the made-up word? :P A sufficient term for that in English would be, perhaps, swotting -or to be exact, memorizing swotting. I personally believe this is a fault in the execution of the hellenic education system (?), as it encourages parroting rather than discouraging it (one can assume so by the way most of the books are written). But half of this matter depends on the student. After all, parroting is an option. I'm glad to see that most of the users here tend to be excellent students with a good critical thought, the latter one being the most important and something parroting will never lead one to. :)

how come u'r such a good speaker,although still 14?

abracadabra!

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η abracadabra! αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτήτρια. Έχει γράψει 135 μηνύματα.
hey guys
im terrrrrrribly tired, i guess im passing out on my bed rather than falling asleep tonight.
this goddamn sociology.... =( plus, im starving...

what did you guys eat for dinner? :p lol

n1kous

Νεοφερμένος

lol.greek gyro:P

οΟοNantiAoOo

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η ναντια-βασουλα αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 30 ετών και Μαθητής Β' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 903 μηνύματα.
oh yeah....whatever...

well....it depends....i rarelly eat dinner
i usually try something

abracadabra!

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η abracadabra! αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτήτρια. Έχει γράψει 135 μηνύματα.
something?
why not dine properly re nantia mou? xD :p

yummy pizza =D

Letta

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η Letta αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Απόφοιτος. Έχει γράψει 239 μηνύματα.
Στην Αγγλική γλώσσα υπάρχει πληθυντικός ευγενίας?

Θέλω να πω έστω για παράδειγμα θέλουμε να ρωτήσουμε κάποιον:

"Ήσασταν στο πάρτυ?" θα το πούμε "Were you at the party?" ή "Was you at the party?"

ΥΓ: το έγραψα στα Ελληνικά για να εκφράσω την απορία μου καλύτερα. :xixi:

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Δεν υπάρχει πληθυντικός ευγενείας, αλλά στην περίπτωση που αναφέρεις, το "Was you at the party" είναι ανύπαρκτο. Η αντωνυμία "you" παίρνει "were" (always) και όχι "was".

Letta

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η Letta αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Απόφοιτος. Έχει γράψει 239 μηνύματα.
Και ελεγα κάτι δεν μου αρεσει. Να που την έκανα την κοτσάνα.....:P

gelo75

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Ο george αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 48 ετών, Πτυχιούχος και μας γράφει απο Ελευσίνα (Αττική). Έχει γράψει 147 μηνύματα.
never mind dont worry many people make mistakes
but you have to know that the "you" takes "were" in all the cases.
bye
yg only for the past

Letta

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

I knew it, but I did the mistake. I hope I don't do the same mistake again.:)

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

never mind dont worry many people make mistakes
but you have to know that the "you" takes "were" in all the cases.
bye
yg only for the past

The underlined words should not be included in your text:P.

Who would you like to spend two months on a deserted island with?

domenica7

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Η domenica7 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 32 ετών. Έχει γράψει 1,056 μηνύματα.
Oh my god!!You all speak so fluently!I really got to improve my english if I want to take part to your discussion!:PBy the way I want to buy a good grammar book for Proficiency level.Can you give me a piece of advice please?

Χρήστες Βρείτε παρόμοια