Ομιλείτε αγγλικά!

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
I've been in contact with academic english and english speaking education. I haven't however had the chance yet to visit another university on erasmus... Besides a high level of english competence and first class grades, what are the other requirements in order for someone to participate in this programme? Moreover, is it difficult to find courses corresponding to the ones you would attend if you were in Athens? I'm asking this particular question because I've heard that many students who participated in the Erasmus, when they returned in Greece, they had to be examined again in certain courses that did not take during their stay abroad...

As far as the summer schools are concerned, I'm not an ''expert" since I haven't been in many. I'm thinking though of attending at least one more in the future. Each year many British Universities are offering summer courses addressed to students of all ages. There are courses for school students who need to improve their fluency in English and prepare for undergraduate studies abroad. There are also courses on more particular subjects such as literature, psychology, history etc. addressed to undergraduate students. You can choose what interests you the most, either related to your field of study or not, fill in an enrollment form and wait for their answer!

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η Ο αναγνώστης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 35 ετών και Φοιτήτρια. Έχει γράψει 179 μηνύματα.
I've been in contact with academic english and english speaking education. I haven't however had the chance yet to visit another university on erasmus... Besides a high level of english competence and first class grades, what are the other requirements in order for someone to participate in this programme? Moreover, is it difficult to find courses corresponding to the ones you would attend if you were in Athens? I'm asking this particular question because I've heard that many students who participated in the Erasmus, when they returned in Greece, they had to be examined again in certain courses that did not take during their stay abroad...

As far as the summer schools are concerned, I'm not an ''expert" since I haven't been in many. I'm thinking though of attending at least one more in the future. Each year many British Universities are offering summer courses addressed to students of all ages. There are courses for school students who need to improve their fluency in English and prepare for undergraduate studies abroad. There are also courses on more particular subjects such as literature, psychology, history etc. addressed to undergraduate students. You can choose what interests you the most, either related to your field of study or not, fill in an enrollment form and wait for their answer!

the modules in england are completely different in their orientation and their contents than in greece. For example, whereas our latin for one semester is ONE text by ONE author, they study 4-5 authors in english (there are some latin courses as well but mostly in Oxbridge or courses that focus only on the language, not on commentary etc) and a variety of their works. So for example, in one module I studied in three months god knows how many poems by Catullus (at least 50), Lucretius's de rerum nature, Cicero one speech and one philosophical treatise, Sallust two historical works (quite huge these were :'(), and Virgil's Eclogues. The ammount of work was unbelievable. You can't always find the exact courses you'd have in Greece but at least the professor who is in chagrge of erasmus in Birmingham understands that and is abit more flexible. However I did manage to find courses like Aristophanes, Euripides etc which were pretty close to our modules.
You only need a certificate to prove that you speak english. You don't need to have first class grades but if there are many applicants, those who have the highest grades will be chosen. This year however the applicants for Birmingham weren't that many. Usually Paris has the most applicants.

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
the modules in england are completely different in their orientation and their contents than in greece. For example, whereas our latin for one semester is ONE text by ONE author, they study 4-5 authors in english (there are some latin courses as well but mostly in Oxbridge or courses that focus only on the language, not on commentary etc) and a variety of their works. So for example, in one module I studied in three months god knows how many poems by Catullus (at least 50), Lucretius's de rerum nature, Cicero one speech and one philosophical treatise, Sallust two historical works (quite huge these were :'(), and Virgil's Eclogues. The ammount of work was unbelievable. You can't always find the exact courses you'd have in Greece but at least the professor who is in chagrge of erasmus in Birmingham understands that and is abit more flexible. However I did manage to find courses like Aristophanes, Euripides etc which were pretty close to our modules.
You only need a certificate to prove that you speak english. You don't need to have first class grades but if there are many applicants, those who have the highest grades will be chosen. This year however the applicants for Birmingham weren't that many. Usually Paris has the most applicants.

Studying more authors than just one per semester is really important in order for the student to be able to compare their works and form conclusions for each period's literature as a whole!

Did you get the chance to choose some elective courses offered by other related departments, such as philosophy, psychology, english literature, history etc?

By the way, I didn't expect France to have more applicants, because most students in Greece have degrees of a higher level in english rather than in french!

Anyway, let me change the subject a bit, by posing a couple of other questions...
Which towns in the UK have you visited during your stay there?
What are your other interests, besides Greek Literature?

Personally, I'm very interested in foreign literature (especially english) and literary translation. I also write a lot, but I've never published something...

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η Ο αναγνώστης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 35 ετών και Φοιτήτρια. Έχει γράψει 179 μηνύματα.
Studying more authors than just one per semester is really important in order for the student to be able to compare their works and form conclusions for each period's literature as a whole!

Did you get the chance to choose some elective courses offered by other related departments, such as philosophy, psychology, english literature, history etc?

By the way, I didn't expect France to have more applicants, because most students in Greece have degrees of a higher level in english rather than in french!

Anyway, let me change the subject a bit, by posing a couple of other questions...
Which towns in the UK have you visited during your stay there?
What are your other interests, besides Greek Literature?

Personally, I'm very interested in foreign literature (especially english) and literary translation. I also write a lot, but I've never published something...

I totally agree with you, that's one of the main reasons I loved the university so much!! I could have chosen other modules as well, but I didn't want to. English literature though is something you'd definitely not find an equivalent for here. So you could only take it if you didn't mind not actually passing any modules in Greece. I took a module on Egyptian language which was fascinating but unfortunately I had to give it up after a while because the work load on my modules was very demanding plus the egyptian was becoming extremely hard, you'd need to study around 15 hours a week to follow.

As to your other question, I visited London obviously, Windsor, Egham and Staines, Oxford and Cambridge, that's all really. I used to visit my boyfriend every weekend so obviously I didn't have time to go to so many places, but I don't regret it, I am in England all the time because of him (I go every month :P) and we can always go wherever when we have time and money..Soon we 'll go to Edinburgh though for a fencing match he has :D

I love Latin literature as well, especially since my in depth contact with it during my stay in Birmingham. I absolutely adore it. I love learning languages, and I want to improve my Italian now.
I love literature in general, although lately I am readind classical literature almost exclusively.
One of my quirks is that I adore linguistics, especially comparative linguistics and I want to learn ancient languages like Sanskrit! I also want to go on with the egyptian at some point, but I don't think I can find anyone who teaches it here.
Right now my main interest is to finish university so I can go back to England for a masters in Greek and/or Latin literature. I still haven't decided which one, but I think in most universities you don't need to chose. So yei!!

By the way, in which year are you at university?

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
Regarding your other question (about Hatzigiannis), I have to say I mosltly prefer his older songs... Except "Φίλοι και Εχθροί", I do not actually like his more recent ones... I listen to some bands as well like Maroon 5, Linking Park and U2, but not that often... By the way who's Meatloaf? I've never heard of him/her... Do you listen to any Dutch music?

:bye::bye::bye:

:no1:
Meatloaf... Well, I guess that one song is equal to a thousand words:P. No, ten thousand, music gives so much more than an image, which is said to equal 1000 words:P.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXrLxOTJk4[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OLsrvhgY9A&feature=related[/ame]
As for your question about whether I listen to Dutch music, well, no:P. I noticed a Flemish band that I liked, though, might look it up when I have more time. If I do, it will be a part of a set of efforts to improve my Dutch (now, the only thing I have the time to do is read articles, well, even that seems difficult now).

blablabla14

Νεοφερμένος

Η blablabla14 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 28 ετών και Μαθητής Γ' γυμνασίου. Έχει γράψει 73 μηνύματα.
this year im gonna give lower examination..:S:s
I don't know which one I have to choose....Please tell me your opinion and tell me some piece of advice about how will get this certificate...!!!!! It's very important for me!!!!

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
Well, I guess it is important to everyone!;) So many have attained it, so why should the case be different with you?

It depends on what kind of exercises you are good at. If you do well with multiple choice exercises, try the ECCE (Michigan), if you you are a communicative/productive type, try the FCE (Cambridge) or Edexcel' s Level 3 certificate.

Guest 292010

Επισκέπτης

αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμέν. Δεν έχει γράψει κανένα μήνυμα.
What the f**k is going on here?

:P

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ah, you know, just a couple of lame conversations taking place:P. Wouldn' t mind if you joined.

That baby scares me:scared:.

teol20

Επιφανές μέλος

Ο teol20 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Έχει γράψει 10,425 μηνύματα.
Nothing serious...:P

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

I totally agree with you, that's one of the main reasons I loved the university so much!! I could have chosen other modules as well, but I didn't want to. English literature though is something you'd definitely not find an equivalent for here. So you could only take it if you didn't mind not actually passing any modules in Greece. I took a module on Egyptian language which was fascinating but unfortunately I had to give it up after a while because the work load on my modules was very demanding plus the egyptian was becoming extremely hard, you'd need to study around 15 hours a week to follow.

As to your other question, I visited London obviously, Windsor, Egham and Staines, Oxford and Cambridge, that's all really. I used to visit my boyfriend every weekend so obviously I didn't have time to go to so many places, but I don't regret it, I am in England all the time because of him (I go every month :P) and we can always go wherever when we have time and money..Soon we 'll go to Edinburgh though for a fencing match he has :D

I love Latin literature as well, especially since my in depth contact with it during my stay in Birmingham. I absolutely adore it. I love learning languages, and I want to improve my Italian now.
I love literature in general, although lately I am readind classical literature almost exclusively.
One of my quirks is that I adore linguistics, especially comparative linguistics and I want to learn ancient languages like Sanskrit! I also want to go on with the egyptian at some point, but I don't think I can find anyone who teaches it here.
Right now my main interest is to finish university so I can go back to England for a masters in Greek and/or Latin literature. I still haven't decided which one, but I think in most universities you don't need to chose. So yei!!

By the way, in which year are you at university?

Hi!

Being taught more than one writer each semester sounds great! It really helps students to compare and contrast the works of literature, and not regard them as single pieces but as parts of each era's historical and cultural background. I really love comparative literature and the study of the influence that an author had on the works of an other!

The Egyptian language course sounds fascinating but quite difficult...!!! To bad you had to stop attending it... I completely undesrstand the reason though, because organising your priorities is really important when it comes to studies! Unfortunately, we all have sometimes to give up things we may like such as our hobbies in order to succeed in other fields, that we consider more important... Personally I don't like the fact that I don't have much time to read literature, besides the one related to my university courses...

Comparative linguistics is a very interesting subject! I was quite fascinated by the courses on comparative linguistics and the history of languages that I took during the first year's spring semester at the university. The connections that existed between all those languages really surprised me... I knew already about the Indoeuropean language, but I didn't expect the common parts to be so incredibly many!

Since you plan to visit Edinburgh, I suggest you to read one of my previous posts at this thread, where I mention the city's main attractions! I've been there and it's a magnificent city! If you like medieval architecture you'll really enjoy taking long walks in the streets of the city's Old Town. Moreover you'll learn so much on Scottish history by visiting the town's castle and its museums as well! There are museums about the history of whisky, the traditional scottish drink, and about the way they lived in Edinburgh back in the 19th century up to nowadays! Moreover the views from the castle and the Calton hill are breathtaking!!!

thanous18

Περιβόητο μέλος

Ο thanous18 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 4,131 μηνύματα.
I liked the above conversation a lot. By the way, I love English literature, especially when psychology and sociology are involved. I like searching the depth of the characters and the situations in literature. I am very keen on analysing metafictional stories. They are intelligent!!

(totally irrelevant to the above)
I need to cut off some old habits like this. Find my best me again. Improve my life. I will go mad, otherwise. I want to find what and who fullfills me.
I made a lot of mistakes. I 'm kinda jerk. 'Cause I stuck here. I am gonna stop this. It kills me. I am gonna be set free! I am gonna make up my mind.

Ο αναγνώστης

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Hi!

Being taught more than one writer each semester sounds great! It really helps students to compare and contrast the works of literature, and not regard them as single pieces but as parts of each era's historical and cultural background. I really love comparative literature and the study of the influence that an author had on the works of an other!

The Egyptian language course sounds fascinating but quite difficult...!!! To bad you had to stop attending it... I completely undesrstand the reason though, because organising your priorities is really important when it comes to studies! Unfortunately, we all have sometimes to give up things we may like such as our hobbies in order to succeed in other fields, that we consider more important... Personally I don't like the fact that I don't have much time to read literature, besides the one related to my university courses...

Comparative linguistics is a very interesting subject! I was quite fascinated by the courses on comparative linguistics and the history of languages that I took during the first year's spring semester at the university. The connections that existed between all those languages really surprised me... I knew already about the Indoeuropean language, but I didn't expect the common parts to be so incredibly many!

Since you plan to visit Edinburgh, I suggest you to read one of my previous posts at this thread, where I mention the city's main attractions! I've been there and it's a magnificent city! If you like medieval architecture you'll really enjoy taking long walks in the streets of the city's Old Town. Moreover you'll learn so much on Scottish history by visiting the town's castle and its museums as well! There are museums about the history of whisky, the traditional scottish drink, and about the way they lived in Edinburgh back in the 19th century up to nowadays! Moreover the views from the castle and the Calton hill are breathtaking!!!

Thanks for your suggestions! My boyfriend has already been there many times so I'll have the best guide :P Plus he is a history freak so he knows a lot.

Thanous18 I don't know what you are going through but I do know that if you decided to change your life you can do it! Just follow your dreams!

blablabla14

Νεοφερμένος

Η blablabla14 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 28 ετών και Μαθητής Γ' γυμνασίου. Έχει γράψει 73 μηνύματα.
I liked the above conversation a lot. By the way, I love English literature, especially when psychology and sociology are involved. I like searching the depth of the characters and the situations in literature. I am very keen on analysing metafictional stories. They are intelligent!!

(totally irrelevant to the above)
I need to cut off some old habits like this. Find my best me again. Improve my life. I will go mad, otherwise. I want to find what and who fullfills me.
I made a lot of mistakes. I 'm kinda jerk. 'Cause I stuck here. I am gonna stop this. It kills me. I am gonna be set free! I am gonna make up my mind.
:0
just like mee :D

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

@ Ο αναγνώστης: From what you've mentioned, you'll have your own guide!!!
Enjoy your trip and your stay there!!!
-----------------------------------------
this year im gonna give lower examination..:S:s
I don't know which one I have to choose....Please tell me your opinion and tell me some piece of advice about how will get this certificate...!!!!! It's very important for me!!!!

First of all, good luck! Don't worry though!
The best way to choose the particular type of test that's more appropriate for you is to buy some past papers (of all the tests that you're interested in) and practice to see which one's the best for you (it will be obviously the one at which you'll have achieved the highest score!). Moreover, ask for your teacher's advice. After all, he/she knows your abilities better and is able to recommend the exam that's more appropriate for you!
:no1:
Meatloaf... Well, I guess that one song is equal to a thousand words:P. No, ten thousand, music gives so much more than an image, which is said to equal 1000 words:P.

As for your question about whether I listen to Dutch music, well, no:P. I noticed a Flemish band that I liked, though, might look it up when I have more time. If I do, it will be a part of a set of efforts to improve my Dutch (now, the only thing I have the time to do is read articles, well, even that seems difficult now).

Hi!

Unfortunately I can't hear the songs you've attached due to some technical problems... The "ηχεία" of my computer do not work...
I know the greek word in quoatation marks seems a bit strange, but I can't find an english equivalent for it...:P:P:P

As for your other point (on Dutch music), I agree. The best way to reach the level of fluency that you wish is to read (articles, books etc) and, of course, communicate with the natives that you know. However, listening to Dutch singers / bands could really help you practice your oral competene skills in this language... So why don't you try it?:P In addition, it will help you keep in touch with the Dutch culture, which is actually one of the advantages that bilingual people enjoy! Not only do they speak two languages fluently, but they also enjoy the priviledges of a bi - cultural upbringing and education!!!

:bye::bye::bye:

giannis_96

Νεοφερμένος

Ο giannis_96 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 27 ετών και Μαθητής Α' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 65 μηνύματα.
My name is John and i feel good !!!!!!!:):):)

thanous18

Περιβόητο μέλος

Ο thanous18 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 4,131 μηνύματα.
I wanna pass my Italian exams!! :jumpy:

And now I 'm leaving..
I 'm gonna play the piano! :D

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

My name is John and i feel good !!!!!!!:):):)
Good for you!!!:P
I wanna pass my Italian exams!! :jumpy:

And now I 'm leaving..
I 'm gonna play the piano! :D

Are you taking Italian courses? I love Italian... I don't know even a single word yet, but I hope I'll find the time to start some lessons!!! What diploma will you be tested for?

thanous18

Περιβόητο μέλος

It is an elective course and I have to take it in the exam period in the university. :P

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

It is an elective course and I have to take it in the exam period in the university. :P

It doesn't matter... You're taking Italian courses!!!!:jumpy::jumpy::jumpy: You're so lucky...!!!
I study as well at the School of Philosophy (in Athens), but we don't have this kind of electives (on foreign languages / literature...). I wish we did though... I really like foreign and comparative literature...!!!!

Χρήστες Βρείτε παρόμοια