Ομιλείτε αγγλικά!

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Δημήτρης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 30 ετών, Μαθητής Β' λυκείου και μας γράφει απο Συκιές (Θεσσαλονίκη). Έχει γράψει 421 μηνύματα.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
Oh, I did it by mistake, sorry:P.

Well, it' s a different words. And it is we, Greeks, that are supposed to be warm people and open to others.
-----------------------------------------

Aha! Well, I would challenge you, but I want to go to bed in a while, plus, my stunts aren' t good after 8 p.m.:(

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Δημήτρης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 30 ετών, Μαθητής Β' λυκείου και μας γράφει απο Συκιές (Θεσσαλονίκη). Έχει γράψει 421 μηνύματα.
Sorry,I didn't quite catch ur last sentence...

Well,I am sick and tired of Greeks that boast of our welcomeness,when they haven't even travelled for once abroad to see if the ones that they call ''cold'' and''indifferent'' might be a little bit different...(Oh that rhymes:p)

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
Well, the once that might be cold are the English. Not all of them, of course.

I would rather face some more coldness than get feigned warmness and cosiness. I hate pretentious situations.

I meant that I would like to challenge you for a game of chess, but that I want to go to sleep and that my performance is deteriorating as the day goes on. It is a problem with my studies, too.

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

Well, it' s a different words.

Actually,i didnt catch this particular sentence.

Totally agree with ur opinion about coldness and cosiness.

Good night,sleep tight man.

:bye:

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
Don' t feel sorry, I was just joking:P. Yes, it is, I have heard that the part of the brain associated with language use is stronger at bilingual persons. So I guess that' s why I didn' t find it difficult to learn Engkish (sorry if I make typing errors, but I am writing from a netbook and it isn' t the handiest thing to write with:P).
Oh, well, then it is superfluous to sAY that I am delighted to her that:):thanks:. But isn' t a native speaker supposed to be most fluent with the langyage he is native to?

Well, that' s the point that disturbs me (not because you mentioned it, but generally). I don' t even know how to write properly. I make lots of mistakes.

Well, I 've dreamt talking in Greek and English (with some tourists, it was a most amazing dream, like a fairy-tale, was it, and funny, too), but I cannot recall dreaming of speaking in Dutch.

Oh, yes, there are thousands of words that we don' t know, even in Greek:).

No, not at all! Wasn' t that scientific that I didn' t understand! I' d agree with you in all that, but wouldnn' t you say that Greek is, indeed, a much richer language? Without reference to superiority.

Hello! The fact that you're making mistakes is absolutely natural, since you don't get the chance to use Dutch in your education for example... This doesn't mean that you're not a native Dutch speaker... Besides, even native speakers (of any language) make mistakes... :P If you'd like, however, to improve your skills in Dutch, the best way to do it is to start reading books in Dutch, newspapers (if you can find some, here in Greece) and, of course, talk to your mother as much as you can, since she's a native speaker!!!

The typo mistakes aren't of great importance...!!! Don't worry! We all may type something the wrong way (both in english and in greek)!!! This doesn't mean, however, that we are not fluent users...!!! Reading all your posts so far, I can easily assume that you're quite a fluent user of english (at least, as far as written expression is concerned)!!!:P

Regarding your other question, the one concerning the richeness of greek, I have to say that I've never counted all the words of the greek vocabulary, so that I can compare its variety with other languages' vacabularies!!!:P:P:P What probably makes it reach is the fact that many foreign languages use greek terms in the field of science (especially, in medicine)... However, foreigners try to adapt these terms into the phonetical values and the pronunciation of their own language!!! The same thing happens in greek as well!!! Even greek can use foreign terms, adapted into its morphology and its phoenetics, by adding for exapmle a "greek" suffix... i.e. το ρήμα "σκορ-άρω", το ουσιαστικό "τραίνο-ο" etc...
Well, I have been in the NL some times, but I don' t remember how many:P.Unfortunately, I don' t go every year there. The last time we visited my grandparents there, was this summer, but before that, it was in 2003, so I really had the time of my life there.
I would certainly recommend the NL for holidays. It is a small place but with an awful lot of things to see, and it is easy t get to all of them!

I would say that the Efteling is a very nice park to visit (it is an entertainment park, a bit like Disneyland, but with some more emphasis to Nature, google it for more details or visit www.efteling.nl). Woudrichem is also a very nice place to visit, it has retained a deeply traditional character and walking in the streets of this beautiful little town feels great., There is also slot Loevestein, a medieval castle, near the town, which you can reach with a ferry-boat. Amsterdam is also nice, but I didn' t have much time to see it as I would like. And if you ever go there, don' t waste your time and money by sailing in the canals, you won' t be able to see anything. On foot is much better, though Amsterdam is a little chaotic. I have to confess, though, that I liked Antwerpen much, much more (but Antwerpen is in Belgium:P). Antwerpen is less than two hours away by train from Amsterdam Centraal, so I 'd say it' s worth visit, if you ever get to Amsterdam:D

Thanks for your suggestions!!! I'll take of all them into account when I decide to visist the Netherlands!!!

I've been in Belgium, actually... I liked it a lot... Brussels is a very interesting town, of medieval architecture, and with many worth-seeing visitors' attractions, like the Grande Place (my favourite one)!!!

People there are very friendly and helpful, and a european, multi-cultural air "dominates" in the whole atmosphere...
Well, the once that might be cold are the English. Not all of them, of course.

I would rather face some more coldness than get feigned warmness and cosiness. I hate pretentious situations.

I disagree!!!:P I've been in the UK many times and communicated with many natives and I didn't get that impression at all...!!! They are not so cold and distant as many people think... They're in fact very friendly!!!

What makes them a bit different from us, Greeks, is probabaly the fact that they're really organised and punctual...
Well, it' s a different words. And it is we, Greeks, that are supposed to be warm people and open to others.

:no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1:
I really can't understand why people who have never travelled abroad jump into generalising coclusions like "the northern europeans are cold and distant" and stuff like that...

Personally, I could live in a northern european country, because I really appreciate their organisation and punctuality, that Greeks lack...

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Actually,i didnt catch this particular sentence.

Totally agree with ur opinion about coldness and cosiness.

Good night,sleep tight man.

Oh, well, it' s good to agree with you, then. Though it would be more interesting if you didn' t:P.
I meant "worlds", I was typing from a netbook and these little flat keys are most inconvenient to write with.

Hello! The fact that you're making mistakes is absolutely natural, since you don't get the chance to use Dutch in your education for example... This doesn't mean that you're not a native Dutch speaker... Besides, even native speakers (of any language) make mistakes... :P If you'd like, however, to improve your skills in Dutch, the best way to do it is to start reading books in Dutch, newspapers (if you can find some, here in Greece) and, of course, talk to your mother as much as you can, since she's a native speaker!!!

Ah, well, that' s what I am doing (reading articles on the Internet, now that I have time). But it is very difficult. I have to cover gaps of about a deacade in language development.
Ah, who would like to talk to their mother as much as they can?:P
(Not that I don' t like talking to her, she is really open-minded and a talkative person.)

The typo mistakes aren't of great importance...!!! Don't worry! We all may type something the wrong way (both in english and in greek)!!! This doesn't mean, however, that we are not fluent users...!!! Reading all your posts so far, I can easily assume that you're quite a fluent user of english (at least, as far as written expression is concerned)!!!:P

Well, thank you:). I always liked English (and foreign languages in general).

Regarding your other question, the one concerning the richeness of greek, I have to say that I've never counted all the words of the greek vocabulary, so that I can compare its variety with other languages' vacabularies!!!:P:P:P What probably makes it reach is the fact that many foreign languages use greek terms in the field of science (especially, in medicine)... However, foreigners try to adapt these terms into the phonetical values and the pronunciation of their own language!!! The same thing happens in greek as well!!! Even greek can use foreign terms, adapted into its morphology and its phoenetics, by adding for exapmle a "greek" suffix... i.e. το ρήμα "σκορ-άρω", το ουσιαστικό "τραίνο-ο" etc...

Well, there is a topic in "Generally and Vaguely" (how should I translate "Γενικά & Αόριστα";:P) about the English language reaching one million words, whilst the Greek has, if I remember well, 5 bn.
Of course, I know not how they count all these words.:P

Thanks for your suggestions!!! I'll take of all them into account when I decide to visist the Netherlands!!!

Oh, do decide it:P. Don' t forget to ask for "boerenkaas". Traditional cheese. Resembles Gouda (which is actually pronounced "Gaauda", not "Guda") cheese a bit, but is much more tasty and pungy. I like it when it gets old. When it is old, it is called "brokkelkaas" (cheese that shutters). Oh, it' s a heaven in your mouth (or hell:P).

I've been in Belgium, actually... I liked it a lot... Brussels is a very interesting town, of medieval architecture, and with many worth-seeing visitors' attractions, like the Grande Place (my favourite one)!!!

Really? I am really keen on medieval architecture. Antwerpen is of Renaissance (oh, I got that word wrong, at first, I typed it with two "n"s:P) architecture, it is awesome.

People there are very friendly and helpful, and a european, multi-cultural air "dominates" in the whole atmosphere...

Oh, yep:D.
Though it is being threatened by some racist and far-rightist ideas, e.g. Islamophobia.

I disagree!!!:P I've been in the UK many times and communicated with many natives and I didn't get that impression at all...!!! They are not so cold and distant as many people think... They're in fact very friendly!!!

Oh, well, let' s make a clarification (even though you might know about it): Not all people living in the UK are English.

I have been to London once and, well, I cannot say that I received much cosiness:P.

What makes them a bit different from us, Greeks, is probabaly the fact that they're really organised and punctual...

Well, that is the case with almost all other European countries, esp. those in northwestern Europe.

:no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1::no1:
I really can't understand why people who have never travelled abroad jump into generalising coclusions like "the northern europeans are cold and distant" and stuff like that...
Personally, I could live in a northern european country, because I really appreciate their organisation and punctuality, that Greeks lack...

Well, Swedes are cold, of what I know:P. But, indeed, generalisations are unjust.

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
Ah, well, that' s what I am doing (reading articles on the Internet, now that I have time). But it is very difficult. I have to cover gaps of about a deacade in language development.
Ah, who would like to talk to their mother as much as they can?:P
(Not that I don' t like talking to her, she is really open-minded and a talkative person.)

Well, thank you:). I always liked English (and foreign languages in general).

Well, there is a topic in "Generally and Vaguely" (how should I translate "Γενικά & Αόριστα";:P) about the English language reaching one million words, whilst the Greek has, if I remember well, 5 bn.
Of course, I know not how they count all these words.:P

Oh, do decide it:P. Don' t forget to ask for "boerenkaas". Traditional cheese. Resembles Gouda (which is actually pronounced "Gaauda", not "Guda") cheese a bit, but is much more tasty and pungy. I like it when it gets old. When it is old, it is called "brokkelkaas" (cheese that shutters). Oh, it' s a heaven in your mouth (or hell:P).

Really? I am really keen on medieval architecture. Antwerpen is of Renaissance (oh, I got that word wrong, at first, I typed it with two "n"s:P) architecture, it is awesome.

Oh, yep:D.
Though it is being threatened by some racist and far-rightist ideas, e.g. Islamophobia.

Oh, well, let' s make a clarification (even though you might know about it): Not all people living in the UK are English.

I have been to London once and, well, I cannot say that I received much cosiness:P.

Well, that is the case with almost all other European countries, esp. those in northwestern Europe.

Well, Swedes are cold, of what I know:P. But, indeed, generalisations are unjust.

Hi!

• I've never come accross those statistics concerning the number of words that exist in greek or english... I'll try to look it up as soon as I can at the linguistics department's library..

• The architecture of both these eras (middle ages and the renaissance) is actually quite woth-seeing, if someone's interested in history or in hinstory of art, more precisely... Personally, I really enjoy visiting this kind of buildings... their architecture is fascinating... Some of them, actually, are quite breathtaking!

• Of course not all people living in the UK are English.. There are also Scottish and Welsh as well as people of a variety of origins, that just live and work there (you can also see many people from India and other former British colonies)... Even though I haven't lived there for a long time in order to communicate with many of them and be able to form more accurate and justified conclusions, I've never come across so "cold and distant" people as many others think... Maybe it's just me... I don't know... What I know for sure, though, is that I really appreciate their organisation, punctuality and politeness... I always miss these qualities when I return to Greece...

• Unfortunately, I don't think I'll taste the cheese you proposed, since I'm not a fan of cheeses, especially these rare (usually french) ones that smell terribly... In fact, I'm not a fan of dairy products in general... Thanks, though, for your suggestion!!!

Let me, now, pose an other question, in order for us to keep this topic alive and at the top of the list...!!!:P

Which other countries have you visited and which was the most interesting of them...?

What do you think of studying in the future? (I can see that you're now a senior and I suppose that you've already made up your mind...:P)

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Hi!
  • I've never come accross those statistics concerning the number of words that exist in greek or english... I'll try to look it up as soon as I can at the linguistics department's library..

Well, this is the thread I was talking about:
https://ischool.e-steki.gr/showthrea...9%EA%DE+%C3%EB%FE%F3%F3%E1+%EB%DD%EE%E5%E9%F2

• The architecture of both these eras (middle ages and the renaissance) is actually quite woth-seeing, if someone's interested in history or in hinstory of art, more precisely... Personally, I really enjoy visiting this kind of buildings... their architecture is fascinating... Some of them, actually, are quite breathtaking!

Oh, breathtaking, fascinating, call it however you want! I can' t wait to take my luggage and go around the whole world (but, then, I don' t know where to go first. I want to go to Japan -because I like Asian cultures, cherry trees, and the fact that Japan combines tradition, natural beauty and modern life. All in one! I wanna go to Canada, I love those beaches where you can simply lie and watch vast forests on the one side, and the deep blue of the Pacific on the other one! I want to go another round in Belgium, and visit Ghent, Brugge, Brussels, and, of course, Antwepen, in remembrance of these good old days:D. In Prague, Edinburgh, Rome, Vienna, Egypt, India, oh, I do. But where should I go first? And, most importantly, will I have the time and money to go on such trips? We' ll see!).

• Of course not all people living in the UK are English.. There are also Scottish and Welsh as well as people of a variety of origins, that just live and work there (you can also see many people from India and other former British colonies)... Even though I haven't lived there for a long time in order to communicate with many of them and be able to form more accurate and justified conclusions, I've never come across so "cold and distant" people as many others think... Maybe it's just me... I don't know... What I know for sure, though, is that I really appreciate their organisation, punctuality and politeness... I always miss these qualities when I return to Greece...

Well, they might be polite (I mean, they are), but the question is, is their politeness genuine? Because I find that "Could I please have a cup of tea, my dear child?" a bit hypocritical.

• Unfortunately, I don't think I'll taste the cheese you proposed, since I'm not a fan of cheeses, especially these rare (usually french) ones that smell terribly... In fact, I'm not a fan of dairy products in general... Thanks, though, for your suggestion!!!

Ah, well, never say never:P.

Let me, now, pose an other question, in order for us to keep this topic alive and at the top of the list...!!!:P

Which other countries have you visited and which was the most interesting of them...?

Well, I 've been in the Netherlands, of course, a bit around Belgium, and a bit around England.

The most interesting... Well, that would be EXTREMELY subjective to answer, as I have spent much more time and done much more things in NL, than any other of the countries I mentioned. I have certainly found numerous exciting things in all of these countries.

How about you?

What do you think of studying in the future? (I can see that you're now a senior and I suppose that you've already made up your mind...:P)

Ah, well, I want to be a Biology researcher, but haven' t decided in which field yet... I am interested in Neuroscience, Genetics, Toxicology (though that would be a little more Chemistry, I guess. But I have a natural appeal to poisons:P.), Evolutionary Biology. I am most likely to enter the Biology department of the University of Crete, even though I would sooner go to Thessaloniki (I want to leave!!!), but it is widely said that Heraklion has the best Biology department in Greece, so...

But it wouldn' t be bad at all, if I write a book and it becomes a success:P. I also like writing (never wrote a whole book, though, always came up with some new idea and went on to write a new one without finishing the old one, that' s bad, I guess), but, well, it is not that dependable, and I don' t think that I could easily stay away from research opportunities...:D

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Well, this is the thread I was talking about:
https://ischool.e-steki.gr/showthread.php?t=47366&highlight=%C1%E3%E3%EB%E9%EA%DE+%C3%EB%FE%F3%F3%E1+%EB%DD%EE%E5%E9%F2

Oh, breathtaking, fascinating, call it however you want! I can' t wait to take my luggage and go around the whole world (but, then, I don' t know where to go first. I want to go to Japan -because I like Asian cultures, cherry trees, and the fact that Japan combines tradition, natural beauty and modern life. All in one! I wanna go to Canada, I love those beaches where you can simply lie and watch vast forests on the one side, and the deep blue of the Pacific on the other one! I want to go another round in Belgium, and visit Ghent, Brugge, Brussels, and, of course, Antwepen, in remembrance of these good old days:D. In Prague, Edinburgh, Rome, Vienna, Egypt, India, oh, I do. But where should I go first? And, most importantly, will I have the time and money to go on such trips? We' ll see!).

Well, they might be polite (I mean, they are), but the question is, is their politeness genuine? Because I find that "Could I please have a cup of tea, my dear child?" a bit hypocritical.

Ah, well, never say never:P.

Well, I 've been in the Netherlands, of course, a bit around Belgium, and a bit around England.

The most interesting... Well, that would be EXTREMELY subjective to answer, as I have spent much more time and done much more things in NL, than any other of the countries I mentioned. I have certainly found numerous exciting things in all of these countries.

How about you?

Ah, well, I want to be a Biology researcher, but haven' t decided in which field yet... I am interested in Neuroscience, Genetics, Toxicology (though that would be a little more Chemistry, I guess. But I have a natural appeal to poisons:P.), Evolutionary Biology. I am most likely to enter the Biology department of the University of Crete, even though I would sooner go to Thessaloniki (I want to leave!!!), but it is widely said that Heraklion has the best Biology department in Greece, so...

But it wouldn' t be bad at all, if I write a book and it becomes a success:P. I also like writing (never wrote a whole book, though, always came up with some new idea and went on to write a new one without finishing the old one, that' s bad, I guess), but, well, it is not that dependable, and I don' t think that I could easily stay away from research opportunities...:D

Hi!

• I think Biology is a very interesting subject with many aspects still left for someone to research! It was, in fact, one of my favourite subjects at school, even though I choose to major in humanities. I wish you luck at your forthcoming exams and I hope you'll enter the department that you wish! I've heard, actually, that the university of Crete is well reputed in the field of these sciences. Regarding the "horizon" of research opportunities for a biology graduate, and for any graduate for that matter, it becomes wider and wider by obtaining postgraduate degrees, like MSc and PhD. If you'd like scientific research in your field, you should definitely try to acquire more degrees than a simple bachelor (πτυχίο), in order to work in specialised research centres and/or pursue an academic career. If you are interested especially in a future academic career (which is most of the times related with research), you should definitely acquire a PhD.

• Personally, I've been in France, Italy, Belgium and the UK. I've really enjoyed my trips to the french alps as a child as well as my trips to London and Scotland. Since I've been in the UK many times, I've found out that their politness is, actually, quite genuine and honest. It might seem a bit "hypocritical" to us, Greeks, because we are not used in this kind of behaviour (unfortunately, in my opinion) and we might think that's quite pretentious, but the truth is that it's a bahaviour they learn from a very young age. It consists an essential part of their up-briging that they have managed to incorporate in their daily lives.

• As far as the countries I would like to visist are concerned, I really want to travel to some countries of the southern hemisphere, like Australia, Brazil and Argentina. Moreover, I'd like to visit Germany and Austria as well as the Netherlands and Luxemburg.
Kind regards,
Lita Athens

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Er... May I ask you sth?:p

Why are you replying to me as if writing a letter?:P

-Thank you for your wishes.:thanks:
Well, I know that I should get more than a bachelor' s degree. I might go abroad to acquire my MSc and PhD (if I get a PhD).

-Have you been in Edinburgh? I really want to visit that city.
Well, sorry if I am being a bit nasty right now, but where does this politeness go when the young Brits come to Malia, Chersonissos or Rhodos, get totally drunk, offend the law and promote a bad image of Greek tourism?

-Do you have any relatives living abroad?

-Hmm... interesting. You don' t hear a lot of people wanting to visit Brazil or Argentina.

-Which accent do you prefer in English?:D

Kindest regards:D,
Crookshanks.

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Er... May I ask you sth?:p

Why are you replying to me as if writing a letter?:P

-Thank you for your wishes.:thanks:
Well, I know that I should get more than a bachelor' s degree. I might go abroad to acquire my MSc and PhD (if I get a PhD).

-Have you been in Edinburgh? I really want to visit that city.
Well, sorry if I am being a bit nasty right now, but where does this politeness go when the young Brits come to Malia, Chersonissos or Rhodos, get totally drunk, offend the law and promote a bad image of Greek tourism?

-Do you have any relatives living abroad?

-Hmm... interesting. You don' t hear a lot of people wanting to visit Brazil or Argentina.

-Which accent do you prefer in English?:D

Kindest regards:D,
Crookshanks.

Hi!

I'm not writing to you as if I was writing a letter... I haven't put any address (προσφώνηση) or the typical introductory sentences...:P The final greeting is just a simple salutatory phrase... nothing more!:P

By the way, I'm really disappointed that none else partcipates in the conversation we're having... None's interested in improving his/her english language skills in writing? Do the others think that by obtaining certain typical diplomas, they "have finished" with language learning? Beacause, if that's the case, I assume they haven't found out yet that learning is a process that doesn't end, it takes actually a whole lifetime...

Anyway, you've posed me a lot of interesting questions... I'll start answering them one by one...:P

Yes, I've been in Edinburgh (it's pronunced "έντινμπρα"). It is a wonderful town... I'd even characterise it magnificent... I'd definitely recommend a visit at the town's castle (of medieval architecture, it offers plenty of interesting information on scottish history), a walk down the Royal Mile (a traditional scottish road, with many little museums and folklore shops), a walk down Prince's Street (a more modern and commercial road, if you're interested in shopping), a visit at the Calton hill (it offers breathtaking view of the whole town). There are many things to do and many things to see in Edinburgh and Scotland, in general. Even a walk down the old narrow streets (I think they call them "closes") is quite fascinating, if you're interested in medieval history and architecture (I'm assuming you are, from what you've mentioned in some of your previous posts...)!!!

British politeness does go away in the cases you've underlined... I think it's because they have learnt to live by cartain rules, they have learnt a typical every-day routine in their own country and they need to have some "unrestricted" fun... That's why they bahave like this... keep in mind though that when they behave this way they're actually drunk, so they don't really control themselves and, consequently, they can't understand what they're doing... This happens to Greeks as well (i.e. car accidents due to drunk drivers etc)...

Yes, I have relatives and friends who live in the UK, but they're not natives. They're Greeks who study or work there.

Regarding the accent I prefer the most, I'd say I like the typical english one... It's more genuine and authentic... and quite sophisticated, actually...!!!:P What about you?

Kind regards,
Lita Athens

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Hi!

I'm not writing to you as if I was writing a letter... I haven't put any address (προσφώνηση) or the typical introductory sentences...:P The final greeting is just a simple salutatory phrase... nothing more!:P

Alright! I just felt it is a bit too formal:P.

By the way, I'm really disappointed that none else partcipates in the conversation we're having... None's interested in improving his/her english language skills in writing? Do the others think that by obtaining certain typical diplomas, they "have finished" with language learning? Beacause, if that's the case, I assume they haven't found out yet that learning is a process that doesn't end, it takes actually a whole lifetime...

Ah, well, I guess that holidays are over and that everybody' s time is much more limited... I am having Information Studies now (well, you couldn' t call it exactly like that, but... :D), so I am stealing some time from the lesson:P.

Anyway, you've posed me a lot of interesting questions... I'll start answering them one by one...:P

Yes, I've been in Edinburgh (it's pronunced "έντινμπρα").

Oh, I know. I had an native English teacher at private English school:).

It is a wonderful town... I'd even characterise it magnificent... I'd definitely recommend a visit at the town's castle (of medieval architecture, it offers plenty of interesting information on scottish history), a walk down the Royal Mile (a traditional scottish road, with many little museums and folklore shops), a walk down Prince's Street (a more modern and commercial road, if you're interested in shopping), a visit at the Calton hill (it offers breathtaking view of the whole town). There are many things to do and many things to see in Edinburgh and Scotland, in general. Even a walk down the old narrow streets (I think they call them "closes") is quite fascinating, if you're interested in medieval history and architecture (I'm assuming you are, from what you've mentioned in some of your previous posts...)!!!

Well, I definitely wanna go to Edinburgh:P. I am feeling so jealous... SO many people I know have travelled abroad for Christmas, and I really wanna visit all the charming places I have heard of:D.

British politeness does go away in the cases you've underlined... I think it's because they have learnt to live by cartain rules, they have learnt a typical every-day routine in their own country and they need to have some "unrestricted" fun... That's why they bahave like this... keep in mind though that when they behave this way they're actually drunk, so they don't really control themselves and, consequently, they can't understand what they're doing... This happens to Greeks as well (i.e. car accidents due to drunk drivers etc)...

Well, haven' t heard of any Greeks doing the same thing abroad.
Not being able to restrict themselves on their own, but only under the pressure of law and control, means that this behaviour does not derive from their ethics or attitude towards the world and is therefore not genuine.

Yes, I have relatives and friends who live in the UK, but they're not natives. They're Greeks who study or work there.

Regarding the accent I prefer the most, I'd say I like the typical english one... It's more genuine and authentic... and quite sophisticated, actually...!!!:P What about you?

Well, I prefer the Highlander or Mancunian accent. They retain the originality and clearness of the typical English accent, but they are rougher and well, imho, more spontaneous. But I cannot imitate very well, so most of the times, I speak English with the Queen' s accent (the typical English you are talking about:P).

blablabla14

Νεοφερμένος

Η blablabla14 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 28 ετών και Μαθητής Γ' γυμνασίου. Έχει γράψει 73 μηνύματα.
this question is mine:P
do you like school ?? if you do , why and whats your favourite subject ??:)

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Alright! I just felt it is a bit too formal:P.

Ah, well, I guess that holidays are over and that everybody' s time is much more limited... I am having Information Studies now (well, you couldn' t call it exactly like that, but... :D), so I am stealing some time from the lesson:P.

Oh, I know. I had an native English teacher at private English school:).

Well, I definitely wanna go to Edinburgh:P. I am feeling so jealous... SO many people I know have travelled abroad for Christmas, and I really wanna visit all the charming places I have heard of:D.

Well, haven' t heard of any Greeks doing the same thing abroad.
Not being able to restrict themselves on their own, but only under the pressure of law and control, means that this behaviour does not derive from their ethics or attitude towards the world and is therefore not genuine.

Well, I prefer the Highlander or Mancunian accent. They retain the originality and clearness of the typical English accent, but they are rougher and well, imho, more spontaneous. But I cannot imitate very well, so most of the times, I speak English with the Queen' s accent (the typical English you are talking about:P).

Hi!

First of all, you shouldn't chat on the internet during the lesson...!!!:P
You should be paying attention to everything your teacher has to tell you...!!!:P:P:P:P:P

By the way, I think that the english equivalent for the word "πληροφορική" is informatics.

I've pointed out the pronunciation of "Edinburgh", because many foreign speakers confuse it, even if they are fluent english users. Did you have a scottish teacher who told you that? I'm assuming you had one, since you mentioned that you like the scottish accent, which isn't very well-known in Greece... The fact that you had a native teacher must have helped you a lot. According to linguistics, the best language teachers are the ones that are both natives and university graduates of the language they teach (i.e. greek, english, french, german etc litearature / linguistics).

You shouldn't feel jealous because you haven't visited Scotland yet.:P
You are still young... You have a lot of time to accomplish your dreams, even the ones regarding travelling.:P
Personally, I visited Scotland after my high school graduation. There are, however, many countries/towns I'd really like to visit and haven't had the chance yet...
Besides, keep in mind that it was actually better for you not to go on vocation during the holidays, since you had the chance to study for the forth-coming exams, which, at this time of your life, are of greater importance than a simple trip.

The scottish accent is actually quite "rough"... It's usually hard for a foreigner to understand Scots while they're speaking. Not only is their accent different from the typical english one, but they also use rare idioms and phrases not commonly used in other parts of the UK. The fact that you can understand them means that you've reached a high level of competence in english...:no1::no1::no1: The same thing happens in greek as well. There is the typical "athenian" accent and other more rough accents like the ones spoken in Crete or Roumeli. Ofcourse, a native speaker can understand this kind of accents, most of the times. A foreigner (who has learnt greek), on the other hand, will face many difficulties.

By the way, what do you mean by the phrase "private english school"? (a "φροντιστήριο" or a morning english speaking school, i.e. elementary school, middle school, high school)?

:bye::bye::bye:

blablabla14

Νεοφερμένος

Η blablabla14 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 28 ετών και Μαθητής Γ' γυμνασίου. Έχει γράψει 73 μηνύματα.
i love all the subjects which are include in positive direction like ancient greek language :) to be honest ... i just hate maths and generally the subjects that you have to count numbers and do these kind of confusing things :P to answer to the other question of mine :P i love and hate school (yes i know very clear answer ) . i mean that i love having fun with my friends and LEARNING ..but i think most of the time im bored :D:D:D:D LOL
u guys what r u talking about ??? :P:P:P

twilight_girl

Εκκολαπτόμενο μέλος

Η Δέσποινα αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι 27 ετών, Μαθητής Γ' γυμνασίου και μας γράφει απο Πεύκα (Θεσσαλονίκη). Έχει γράψει 234 μηνύματα.
Hello everyone!!!How are you today?

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Dear blablabla 14,
First of all, welcome to our conversation!!!
Read our posts and you'll find out what we're discussing...
I'm glad you're interested in humanities (ανθρωπιστικές επιστήμες - θεωρητικές σπουδές), because personally I study greek literature! Would you like to opt for literature studies in the future? If yes, feel free to ask me any question about it!!!

blablabla14

Νεοφερμένος

shouldn t be there a subject to discuss about?or it s just whatever comes in mind?
i agree..!!!:P
thnx!!! really?perfect!! actually when i grow up i wanna be a psychologist :D but if u want to ,tell me about ur experience on ur studies :)

Hastera

Νεοφερμένος

Ο Hastera αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 45 ετών και Μαθητής Α' γυμνασίου. Έχει γράψει μόλις ένα μήνυμα.
What is the difference between the Iphone first generation and the iphone 3G? I know this sounds stupid but how do I know which one I have? My husband bought it for me in February.. Isn't the new one the 3GS? I am so confused now!!!! I want to buy an otterbox and now I am not sure which one I have to buy the correct size box. Apparently there is a size difference... [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_g8RMKfk5w]unlock iphone[/ame]

Χρήστες Βρείτε παρόμοια