Ομιλείτε αγγλικά!

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Δημήτρης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 30 ετών, Μαθητής Β' λυκείου και μας γράφει απο Συκιές (Θεσσαλονίκη). Έχει γράψει 421 μηνύματα.
By no chance am I a native dear Lita:)

I just adore english and for that reason I keep in touch with the language and aspire to study English at AUT.Actually,I've been attending classes at an institute for several years,but cannot say that it has offered me the wealth of the english language that only one can reach through culture,literature,journeys and so on.But,anyway,I still have a lot to learn to say that I am a very good user of the language.

As for my future career,I dream of travelling all over the world,especially Europe(hope it doesn't sound very EU-friendly:p).Unfortunately,I wouldn't be fulfilled if teaching english in Greece for my whole life,I believe in freedom of the mind and the body,so what else other than books,people and travelling can offer you that?

Yeah,I already knew about Wilde's homosexuality and his arrest due to his sexual orientations.De Profundis,a book of his,was in fact written in jail,when Wilde was arrested for the above-mentioned reason.Looking forward to obtaining it in english,as the prototype(well,you already know that,I guess)can never be replaced by a mere translation.:)

Your english skills are great as well!Good work you've done with them:)

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
Thanks!!! I've been learnig english from the age of 6 untill the age of 18 for one or two hours per day! I'm trying as well to keep in touch with this particular language by reading english literature (in the original english version, not translated in greek) and by attending summer schools in the UK...

I'm sure it would be interesting for you to know that, according to the theory of language learning and language acquisiton, the younger you are when you start learning a foreign language, the better you master it and it's difficult for you to forget what you've learnt, even in case you can't keep in touch with that particular language!

I'm interested as well in english studies... That's why I'm thinking of applying at a UK university in the future for a master's degree in this field...

I have to admit that I completely agree with the way you've decided to approach a foreign language! It is quite admirable for a 17 year-old student like you to be able to appreciate the significance of literature in language learnig... I've mentioned it in many of my previous posts in the english language section but I've never found someone who agreed... They all pay attention to the skills required in order to obtain the typical diplomas... I'm very pleased I found a student that can really understand the link between language and civilisation and the way these two notions interact...

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 14 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Δημήτρης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 30 ετών, Μαθητής Β' λυκείου και μας γράφει απο Συκιές (Θεσσαλονίκη). Έχει γράψει 421 μηνύματα.
My cousin,who has been studying Greek for 2 years,told me that:''Language doesn't characterise civilisation,but civilisation characterises the language''or sth like that:DThe correlation,consequently,between the two of them is quite clear.:)

Well,I can only say that to master a language certificates do not suffice,or even more precicely,they just play a small part in it.What's better than reading literature through prototypes?That should have been the reason for studying a language,to read literature,to broaden your horizons,to be able to travel without hesitation.Not silly diplomas just to show off and become a better careerist.

All these may sound rather unrealistic and emotional,but that's the truth I find in learning a language,and I may say it is a truth more profitable than any other money/career-aspiring truth.:)

Silent_Killer

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Άγγελος αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 28 ετών, Φοιτητής και μας γράφει απο Σαλαμίνα (Αττική). Έχει γράψει 1,641 μηνύματα.
Hey, what are you exactly doing here?:hmm:

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

Chatting!Why dont you join us silent?:)

Crookshanks

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο Crookshanks αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 3,567 μηνύματα.
The ones that haven't been fully baked and are not very dry inside are the best!!! Actually, the more they're dripping, the better!!!

Ah, well, about that, my mom did not agree. I made them a bit drippy, and they' re really good (although not equally tasty to the ones I have eaten in my holidays this summer), so I might send you some:P.

I knew about the butter... that's what makes them fattening, yet at the same time so delicious...!!!
-----------------------------------------

Not chocolate?:(:P Ah, never mind about a little extra intake of calories. You 're not gonna die:P.

P.S: The butter in "kourapiedes" that smells terribly is what makes me sick...
The butter contained in brownies and this kind of sweets doesn't smell like that...

Aha! Is there any chance that the butter used in almond cookies covered with powdered sugar (how else could I translate "κουραμπιέδες";:P) is made of goat' s milk?

So,how did you guys spend your holidays?Or how would you want to spend the christmas holidays?

Ah, well... Frankly, not as well as I would hope to. Getting up at seven thirty and studying till four or five in the afternoon is not the dream of every kid having holidays, but well, that' s how this last year is like - so I shouldn' t complain. Or should I? I really have no idea.
Nevertheless, after studying I cycle, read articles in Dutch (to improve myself in this language!), listen to music, and, well, wasting (?) my time in iSchool. Btw, do you think that this forum is a waste of time?:D

Your turn guys,but pls acknowledge for once and again that my knowledge on cooking is limited by far,so pay some attention to the new subject if possible.

Well, how about your knowledge about devouring delicacies?:P

I don't know anything about cookery either... I 've just mentioned the sweets I prefer... this doesn't mean though that I can cook them!!!:P

Well, brownies are easy to make:). I made them today for the first time in my life, and they were a total success!

But,anyway,I still have a lot to learn to say that I am a very good user of the language.

Well, comparatively to the average Greek student, you certainly are!

As for my future career,I dream of travelling all over the world,especially Europe(hope it doesn't sound very EU-friendly:p).Unfortunately,I wouldn't be fulfilled if teaching english in Greece for my whole life,I believe in freedom of the mind and the body,so what else other than books,people and travelling can offer you that?

Hmm... And won' t you ever feel the need to have a home? Somewhere cosy to rest, a place to feel familiar with?

Thanks!!! I've been learnig english from the age of 6 untill the age of 18 for one or two hours per day! I'm trying as well to keep in touch with this particular language by reading english literature (in the original english version, not translated in greek) and by attending summer schools in the UK...

:!: Really? How come?
Wasn' t that depressing for you as a little child?

What exactly are these summer schools?

I have to admit that I completely agree with the way you've decided to approach a foreign language! It is quite admirable for a 17 year-old student like you to be able to appreciate the significance of literature in language learnig... I've mentioned it in many of my previous posts in the english language section but I've never found someone who agreed... They all pay attention to the skills required in order to obtain the typical diplomas... I'm very pleased I found a student that can really understand the link between language and civilisation and the way these two notions interact...

Well, actually, reading english literature is an enormous help for those who learn English. Most students, however, abstain not only from reading books in English (nobody encourages them to do it, anyway), but also from enjoying the wide range of books that are offered in Greek, whether from a Greek or foreign author. The educational system makes children hate books, as they link them with all the boring and tiresome rules and trivial facts that they are forced to learn.

Happy new year!

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Lita Athens αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Φοιτητής. Έχει γράψει 541 μηνύματα.
I have heard many times at university lectures that language can't stand on its own without civilisation and that civilisation can't exist without language... They are ralated, therefore, by a very strong link, equally significant and meaningful for both...

Language certificates have become usefull nowadays, due to high competition in the field of work, where a more and more enriched curriculum vitae is constantly required...

I don't think though that a foreign language should be taught emphasising only on the specific and very typical skills needed for someone to succeed at these exams and obtain the diploma they always wished for...

Anyway, let's not analyse that again... I' ve analysed it many times, presenting persuasive and scientific arguments (according to linguistics' theories) that were not appreciated very much by the other users... I would not like therefore to quarrel once more about this particular issue...

That's why I will pose you another question, in order for us to keep this topic alive...
How did you decide to study english in the future?
Which countries would you like to visit?
Would you ever think of studying abroad for a post-graduate degree and even living and working abroad?
I'm asking you this question because you've mentioned in one of your previous posts that teaching english at greek schools (which is the main work potential for a literature gradute in Greece) wouldn't be self-fullfilling... I quite agree with you actually, even though I find teaching children very creative...

Alessandra

Διάσημο μέλος

Η Δεν έχω αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Πτυχιούχος. Έχει γράψει 2,716 μηνύματα.
Κing's pie, Queen's pie....
What is all this?

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

@ Crookshanks...
How come you've been learning Dutch? It is not a very common language for a foreign to decide to start learning it...

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

Guys im gonna be back after midnight.Gotta get ready for the family dinner:P

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

@ Crookshanks
Regarding the other questions that you've posed...
yes, I' ve been learning english for all these years for one or two hours per day... it was a compulsory subject for the school I went to and it was of primary importance, equall to the one of greek... anyway, I still need improvement... besides, language learning, as well as learning in general is a process that takes a whole lifetime...

It was not at all depressing... It was actually one of my favourite subjects as a student... That's why I'm still keeping touch with english by reading, speaking with natives when I'm abroad etc... I hope it won't surprise you to know that I'm thinking of applying for a master's degree in english literature at a uk university...

Silent_Killer

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Άγγελος αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 28 ετών, Φοιτητής και μας γράφει απο Σαλαμίνα (Αττική). Έχει γράψει 1,641 μηνύματα.

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

Silent_Killer

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

I'm very bored at this moment!
Weel....A lot of members have logged out..so i think that we could talk about sth else!

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

@Crookshanks
As for devouring sweets,Id better not draw from my own experiences,if i wanna be on the safe side:p

About the point that you highlighted,concerning my dream of travelling unceasably throughout the world,I think the home I will have obtained will be the whole world(or anyway the countries I will have stayed in:P).Besides,my family will be here,open to welcome me whenever I return ''home''.:D

However,I cant say I wont miss my country and my connections here.Thats why I wont limit my dream by saying that I will stay abroad as much as possible,but I will follow my heart and whenever I feel like returning to Greece or staying abroad,I will give it my best to fulfill my desires each time of my life.

Lita,I am also thinking of attending a summer school this summer.Once a fellow student gave me a leaflet about campus summer lessons and I also made a research on some unis.What I actually have to pinpoint,and what definitely caught my eye, was the lessons Oxford offers.But,a desire to go this summer to Oxford is far from real,due to the quite astronomical fees:D

Could you propose any good school you've attended or you've heard of?

Silent_Killer

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

AND DO NOT FORGET!
23:50 ====>CHATROOM!

Lita Athens

Δραστήριο μέλος

There are summer schools on a variety of subjects (like english language, literature, history, sociology, psychology etc.) Some of them, like the more general english language courses, are addressed to very young students (children or teenagers) and some others are addressed to university students and adults that are interested in particular subjects.
A great number of universities in the UK are offering this kind of courses during the summer, but, unfortunately, I cannot propose one, since I've not been in many...
It depends on your personal interests and on what you want/ need to focus on... i.e. english language in general or particular subjects...

Regarding the first thing you talk about (travelling throughout Europe and the world), I'd like to ask you something very typical... How do you plan on keeping a permenant jod, while travelling, because from what you have mentioned (that you're planning to stay in certain countries) it is obvious that you don't want to travel just for the holidays...

Distrubia

Νεοφερμένος

Ο Δημήτρης αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 33 ετών, Φοιτητής του τμήματος Παιδαγωγικό Δημοτικής Εκπαίδευσης Αιγαίου (Ρόδος) και μας γράφει απο Παραδείσι (Ρόδος). Έχει γράψει 11 μηνύματα.
Ι wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year

kotsis1

Δραστήριο μέλος

kk Happy New Year:D

Lita you seem to know a lot about summer schools.Send me any link of them if possible.

I am thinking of doing any job that is possible to make ends meet and stay in each country as much as I would like to.From dishwasher to teacher of foreign languages.The thing is that it is a dream,that may or may not come true,and when dreaming I don't wanna think of any barriers that may occur on the way.

I start feeling afraid when talking as if it's all planned and seem to succeed.Id better not say too big words,it may lead to misunderstandings...

Μαρουλάκι

Δραστήριο μέλος

Η Χρονοκράτωρ αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Είναι Μαθητής Γ' λυκείου. Έχει γράψει 526 μηνύματα.
Ντου γιου σπικ ινγκλις; Κοζ, άι ντου. Ε λιτλ.

Χρήστες Βρείτε παρόμοια