CPE Writing- Task types in the CPE Writing Paper

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

Ο puppet_58 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 35 ετών. Έχει γράψει 88 μηνύματα.
A) Essay

A well organised discursive essay is structured like this:

INTRODUCTION-PARAGRAPH 1(Restating the writer's opinion using paraphrase)
MAIN BODY-PARAGRAPH 2(Point 1+your opinion)
3(point 2+your opinion)
4(point 3+your opinion)
CONCLUSION- PARAGRAPH 5(Sum up+give opinion)

AND LOOKS LIKE THIS:

People argue a great deal nowadays about..........................................................................................................................................(restate the writer's opinion using paraphrase)

With regard to...................................(1st point-topic sentence). For example,.........................................................................(1st supporting sentence).This would result in..........................................................................................................(justifying your opinion). What is more, ............................................................................................(second supporting sentence). In this way....................................................................................(justifying your opinion).

As far as.....................is concerned, (second point topic sentence)...................................................................It is true that..............................................................................................................but.......................................................................(justifying your opinion)...........................................................................

When considering whether.............................................................................we must bear in mind that........................................(tird point topic sentence)......................................etc.......................

All in all, I believe that..........................................................................................................After all,.............................................................................(summarize what you said above).

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 12 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

Ο puppet_58 αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι 35 ετών. Έχει γράψει 88 μηνύματα.
ESSAY
1)Examples of excellent and accurate use of structure
*NOT ONLY our personal and professional lives, BUT THEY HAVE ALSO.................
*its impact CAN ONLY BE COMPARED TO.......................
*on BOTH the economy AND the culture of...............
*FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, however, TEACHERS SHOULD realise that.....................
*ONLY THEN WILL THEY BE capable of........................
*may LEAD TO THE CLASSROOM ITSELF BEING CONSIDERED unnecessary.............
*such a procedureshould take place..........,SO THAT all the potential students will be able to...........
*WERE such re-assessment TO TAKE PLACE, however,...............,COMPUTERS COULD..............

Linking words and phrases:
*More specifically,
*On the contrary,
*On the other hand,
*Therefore,
*In addition to that,

Examples of excellent and accurate use of a wide range of vocabulary:
*but they have also PREVAILED in certain fields of the public sector
*According to the latest studies, the INVASION of computing in education and its IMPACT
*since it can BROADEN THE MINDS of its users
*PROMOTE close and necesary contact with............RANGING FROM other schools TO.................
*teachers will most probably find computers INDISPENSABLE
*To my mind, though, THIS IS HARDLY THE CASE.
*and the future role of computers AS VAST SOURCES OF information
*he will have the FLEXIBILITY and the freedom to SET and FOLLOW HIS OWN PACE
*the future ROLE of computers in education is still rather AMBIVALENT.
*need to be RE-ASSESSED

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 12 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

ESSAY
Here are some words and expressions for ordering and arranging the parts of an essay.
FUNCTION IN THE TEXT: BEGINNING
EXAMPLE: I should like to PREFACE my argument with a short personal accountwhich illustrates the point I will try to make.

FUNCTION IN THE TEXT: CONNECTING POINTS
EXAMPLE: This BRINGS ME/US to my next area of discussion, which is ways of decreasing vandalism.

FUNCTION IN THE TEXT: ORDERING POINTS
EXAMPLE: The arguments are presented IN ASCENDING ORDER of importance(from the least important to the most important)
The factors that have led to this situation are presented IN DESCENDING ORDER.(from the most important to the least important)

FUNCTION IN THE TEXT: QUOTING/REFERRING
EXAMPLE: The ideas of several writers will be CITED in support of the argument.
The text ALLUDES TO several themes that need closer examination.

FUNCTION IN THE TEXT: INCLUDING/EXCLUDING MATERIAL
EXAMPLE: Discussion of the roots of the problem is BEYOND/OUTSIDE THE SCOPE of this essay.
It is impossible to DEAL WITH all the the complexities of the issue in this short essay.
We will only TOUCH UPON the big question of political responsibility.

FUNCTION IN THE TEXT: DRAWING CONCLUSIONS
EXAMPLE: We are FORCED TO CONCLUDE that unemployment will always be with us.
EXAMPLE:

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

ESSAY-LAST UNIT

BUILDING UP WRITING SKILLS IN THE USE OF APPROPRIATE REGISTER.
Words used instead of everydat words in an academic context.
ACADEMIC WORD............................EVERYDAY SYNONYM
account for....................................explain, find the cause
conceive.......................................think up
contradict......................................go against
reiterate.......................................repeat,restate
demonstrate..................................show
denote.........................................be a sign of,stand for
negate........................................make useless, wipe out
perceive......................................see
reside.........................................lie,live
trigger........................................cause
utilise.........................................use
the converse.................................the opposite
crucial........................................very important
likewise......................................similarly
notwithstanding.............................despite this
somewhat....................................rather,slightly
thereby.......................................in this way
whereby......................................by which)method)
epitomise...................................are a perfect example of
posit.........................................suggest as a basic fact or principle
underscore...................................emphasize, stress
expound......................................explain, lay out, propose

In our next lesson plan we are going to discuss LETTERS.

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

2) LETTERS

QUALITY LANGUAGE FOR LETTERS IN CPE WRITING TASK
1) This argument has a superficial logic to it, but on closer examination, it turns out to be untenable. The real situation is more complex.
2) I suspect that many of your readers will share my sense of indignation on reading ....report on...
3)Sir,
I find myself at odds with your editorial of May 14 on pensions....
4) To this end, can I modestly bring to your attention that I once...
5) Sir,
I cannnot refrain from commenting on the striking resemblance between...
6)The press must answer for the witch-hunts that follow each tragedy when the system fails or following unsubstantiated allegations against...
7)Child protection is emotive and emotional.
8) These people should understand that to get the feeling of true pride in yourself and your job, you have to make sacrifices and have the backbone to take the rough with the smooth.
9) .....no one there seems in any way perturbed by this blatant affront.
I am outraged at the manner in which you reported-or rather failed to report-my views on .......
10) There is a fundamental flaw in the view expressed on behalf of....
11)It is sad to see your newspaper descend into the depths of tabloid-style journalism to investigate a pro-euthanasia group.
12) I hold no lingering resentments-nor I suspect do most of those who defeated Hitler.

A LETTER USES LOOKS LIKE THIS:

Dear sir/madam,
I am writing with reference to the article on the................................................................................,published in one of your latest issues. I would like to express my................................regarding your opinion. I hope you will not take amiss what I am going to say.

To begin with, you claimed that because of..............................................................................In other words,............................................................................................................I think it is dangerous to claim that it would be ...............................................................That would mean........................................................................................................................................

Furthermore, I think that......................................................................................Because the reason why people...............................................................is the fact that they want to..............................................................................................Therefore,................................................................................Its is more plain to me that............................................................................................

Moreover, you deplore that.................................................................................................According to the statement,.............................................................................Don't you think that....................................................................................?In my opinion, the fact of.............................................................................................................................................................................

On the whole, I believe it is impossible to............................................................................................................................

I am looking forward to seeing my letter published in one of the the next issues of your newspaper.

Yours faithfully,
xx

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

LETTER OF COMPLAINT

BANK OF USEFUL EXPRESSIONS AND SET PHRASES TO USE IN A LETTER OF COMPLAINT.
A) STATING THE CIRCUMSTANCES(introduce the general reason for writing the letter)
I am writing
-to draw your attention to
-to complain about/make a complaint about
-to express my concern about
wit regard to /regarding/in connection with/on account of

I regret that I am obliged to complain about
I feel I must complain about

It was completely different from
I feel it is absolutely unacceptable
I am dissatisfied with
Unfortunately, it was nothing like I expected

B) LISTING COMPLAINTS
My most serious complaint is
Not only(+inversion e.g. Not only did your employee insult us)...but also
Firstly,....Secondly,....Finally..
If this were not enough...../As if that was not bad enough....
To make matters worse'

C) EXPRESSING INDIGNATION IN A TACTFUL MANNER
I was shocked/surprised/dissapointed...
To my amazement/surprise...
I must mention/point out...
Sadly, in your advertisement/brochure you state otherwise
Your advertisement/brochure was misleading in this respect as you failed to mention that..../led me to believe that...

D) CONTRADICTING FALSE OR INNACURATE STATEMENTS MADE IN ADVERTISEMENTS, BROCHURES, LETTERS, ARTICLES, ETC
Make your points clear and forceful:
1)We were supposed to spend four hours sightseeing but IN FACT we ACTUALLY spent just twenty minutes in a flying visit to the History museum.
2)Some fellow travellers said the trip was good in parts WHEREAS those less charitablewould say the whole thing was a disaster.
3)WHEREAS in your article you claim that..................., AS A MATTER OF FACT this was not the case at all.
4)As far as.....is/are concerned, I THINK IT IS FAIR TO SAY(=it is true to say) that although.....
5)I REALLY FAIL TO UNDERSTAND how you can possibly make such irresponsible claims without....
6)ANOTHER POINT/CLAIM OF YOURS I WOULD LIKE TO CONTARDICT CONCERNS THE ALLEGEDLY excellent service offered
7)AS FOR trhe superb facilities that you mention, THERE WAS, IN FACT, a small swimming poolin the hotel, BUT swimming in it was impossible AS it was more crowded than a shuttle bus during the rush hour.

E) INCLUDING NARRATIVE SECTIONS TO ILLUSTRATE A POINT
USE TIME EXPRESSIONS
1)in no time at all
2)by the time
3)earlier on that day
4)as time went by

F) USE REPORTING VERBS
support/accuse/blame/deny/threaten/insist/warn/suggest/offer/disregard

AND FINALLY, USE SET PHRASES FOR THE CLOSING PARAGRAPH-DEMANDING ACTION TO BE TAKEN
1)Considering all the above, I believe I am entitled to a partial/full refund
2)I demand a full refund/immediate action/ a replacement
3)I expect to be compensated/all expenses to be paid
4)I would be grateful if you(would) deal with this matter immediately
5)I would appreciate it if we could sort out this matter as soon as possible
6)I feel sure/ I am confident that this matter will receive your prompt attention
7)I am afraid that if this matter is not dealt with immediately, I will....
8) Unless you,.....I have no ption but to....
9)If I do not...., I will have no choice but to....

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

LETTERS PROVIDING INFORMATION TO THE PUBLIC ON BEHALF OF AUTHORITIES.

For instance, consider the following topic from a past CPE exam:
The Tourist Board in your area has decided to produce a series of welcome letters which will be placed in hotels, libraries and supermarkets, and whose purpose will be to help tourists make the most of their holiday. You have been asked to write the letter for English-speaking visitors.
You should describe places of particular historical interest, mention special events taking place around the year, recommend local specialities in food and drink and where to find entertainment.
Write your letter.

SAMPLE:
Dear visitor,
Welcome to ........................, which is the crossroads between East and West! In this letter, we would like to offer you some useful tips that will make your stay enjoyable.

Places of historical interest

.....................is the second/third biggest city in Greece and a powerful commercial port becaue it has...............................................................................................Steeped in history, it boasts a variety of monuments dating from the Roman and Byzantine times. I f you are an avid sightseer, then visiting the.................................is a must.It was constructed in the 15th century and originally served as an........................................................................................To day, it is home to a wonderful collection of sculptures and valuable artifacts that portray the history of the city.............................................................................................................................................................

Events

................................hosts a number of major happenings with the commercial fever of a European city. ................................................................................................................................................................

Eating places and specialities
Should your interest be in food and drink more than anything else, you cannot be disappointed. The local cuisine is spicy and full of Mediterranean flavours. Tucked out of the way down side streets and abounding in the city, are picturesque tavernas waiting to offer you the experience of ouzo, a strong Greek alcoholic drink flavoured with anissed, accompanied by salted mackerel and other tasty titibits. However, the city also caters for people with dietary requirements........................................................................................................................................................

Entertainment

For the more adventurous among you, the charm and magic of night life are not to be missed...............................................................................................................................................................

We hope this information was helpful and will make your stay more than enjoyable here.
The Local Tourist Board

In our next lesson we are going to discuss ARTICLES.

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

Αφήνετε και κάποιο σχόλιο ρε παιδιά! Πάντως τα πολλά και διαφορετικά types στο κομμάτι της έκθεσης, καθιστούν το C.P.E ως ένα από τα πιο απαιτητικά και σοβαρά πτυχία της αγοράς.

Maryli

Νεοφερμένος

Η Maryli αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Έχει γράψει 15 μηνύματα.
Με μπερδεύει η τόση ανάλυση που κάνεις αλλά μ αρεσε που είχες τα συνώνυμα της καθημερινής με την επίσημη ακαδημαική!

irianna sourbi

Νεοφερμένος

Η irianna sourbi αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένη. Έχει γράψει μόλις ένα μήνυμα.
it is often say that animals play a significant role in our lives esepsialy when it comes to therapy. describe someone you know whose life has been changed in some way due to an animal. write youre essay in about 250-300 words.
paidia voithia se 2 wres exw aglika k prepei na tin exw etimi! borei kapion na me voithisei?

gregory nub

Διάσημο μέλος

Ο gregory nub αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Είναι Μεταπτυχιακός φοιτητής και μας γράφει απο Ηνωμένο Βασίλειο (Ευρώπη). Έχει γράψει 2,619 μηνύματα.
it is often say that animals play a significant role in our lives esepsialy when it comes to therapy. describe someone you know whose life has been changed in some way due to an animal. write youre essay in about 250-300 words.
paidia voithia se 2 wres exw aglika k prepei na tin exw etimi! borei kapion na me voithisei?

Λοιπον στην θεση σου θα εγραφα για καποιον υποτιθεμενο γερο που ζουσε μονος κι τον επιασε καταθληψη, μα μολις πηρε σκυλο/γατα ο,τι σκατα θελεις η ζωη του απεκτησε νοημα :D

puppet_58

Νεοφερμένος

Ωραίο και εύκολο το θέμα αυτό. Δεν χρειάζεται να αγχωθείς. Αρκεί να έχεις στο μυαλό σου την δομή του essay και τις βασικές γραμμές στις οποίες θα πρέπει να κινηθείς(όπως τα έχω παρουσιάσει στην αρχή του τόπικ) και από κει και ύστερα χρειάζεσαι τις ιδέες και το κατάλληλο λεξιλόγιο.

Βαγγέλης Τ.

Νεοφερμένος

Ο Βαγγέλης Τ. αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Έχει γράψει μόλις ένα μήνυμα.
Well,i found your work very important and all these staff about useful language really suprised me and i just wanna ask you if you could help me with cambridge michigan because only 15 days remain until the exams.I would really appreciate it:)

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 10 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Θεμιστοπόλος

Πολύ δραστήριο μέλος

Ο Θεμιστοπόλος αυτή τη στιγμή δεν είναι συνδεδεμένος. Έχει γράψει 1,083 μηνύματα.
Χαχαχαχα. :P
:redface:

Σημείωση: Το μήνυμα αυτό γράφτηκε 10 χρόνια πριν. Ο συντάκτης του πιθανόν να έχει αλλάξει απόψεις έκτοτε.

Χρήστες Βρείτε παρόμοια

• Τα παρακάτω 0 μέλη και 1 επισκέπτες διαβάζουν μαζί με εσάς αυτό το θέμα:
    Tα παρακάτω 0 μέλη διάβασαν αυτό το θέμα:
  • Φορτώνει...